The Letter of Interest window for our
2020 grant is now closed.
Thank you to all the charities who applied!
SVP will announce our newest Investee this September.
Social Venture Partners is looking for charities that want to try something different.
The successful applicant to our Investee grant is willing to be open, honest, and to collaborate. Most of all, they’re ready to take their vital work to the next level.
Up to three years of unrestricted funding. You know how the money is best invested, so we won’t ask specifically how it’s spent.
Our Partners. Skilled volunteers who provide hands-on support in areas that are holding you back.
Tools to assess your organizational capacity. We’ll help you identify your organization’s strengths and potential for growth.
A commitment to working in partnership. We get that there’s a power dynamic in funding relationships. We will do our best to mitigate that. We will invite your honest feedback, own our mistakes, and strive to find a path that works for everyone involved.
What We Will Ask of You
A willingness to share openly what’s holding your organization back. Once the cards are on the table, we can get to work – together.
Flexibility and openness to working with our SVP Partners who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds.
A commitment to calling us out when something’s not working for you. It may be uncomfortable, but our best results come from honest relationships.
An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year.
We ask a lot of our Investees, and we know we’re not perfect. But we believe it’s worth all the effort.
The application period for our 2020 Investee Grant is now closed.
Before you apply in 2021, please read the application requirements below.
#1: Determine Your Investee Eligibility
- Employs a full-time, paid Executive Director
- Registered Canadian Charity
- Not open to municipal, academic, school, or hospital organizations
- Your organization’s primary activities serve Waterloo Region residents
What we’re looking for in an Investee:
- Ready and willing to change and grow. Articulate where you want to go and how to get there. You’re also able to demonstrate a strong, positive relationship between the organization’s Board and senior leadership.
- Commitment to organizational capacity. You can demonstrate how your charity has built capacity in the past, and identify how you’ll continue to do so.
- Demonstrated time and resources to work with us. Please learn about SVP’s funding model and meet with our ED Rose before applying, to ensure partnership with us is right for your organization at this time.
- Strong commitment to collaboration within the community.
- Open to feedback, prepared to learn, and willing to try new ways of working.
#2: Check the Dates
SVP Waterloo Region has one grant cycle each year. A Call for Letters of Interest is issued each December.
Key Dates (2020 Investee Year):
Jan. 15 – Investee Info Session (11:00 a.m-12:00 p.m.)
Jan. 16 – Investee Info Session (2:00 p.m-3:00 p.m.)
Feb. 4 – Letter of Interest deadline (5:00 p.m.)
Feb. 28 – Shortlisted applicants may submit Full Proposals
Mar. 31 – Full Proposal deadline (5:00 p.m.)
Apr. 21 – Semifinalists’ Speed Networking with our Investment Committee
May 12 – 2020 Investee finalists’ meeting with our Investment Committee
Jun. 1 – Candidates notified of their application status
Jun. 10 – 2020 Investee announced at our All Partners Meeting
#3: Submit a Letter of Interest (by Feb. 4th at 5 PM)
Please note that all applicants must meet with Social Venture Partners’ Executive Director before submitting a Letter of Interest.
Letters of Interest are assessed on the basis of:
- Organizational leadership, vision, and capacity
- Potential for impact
- Model and Programming (need, track record, innovation)
- Social Venture Partners’ engagement potential (ability/readiness to partner with us)
For full criteria & guidelines, refer to our 2020 Call for Letters of Interest – Info Package.
Letters will be reviewed by Social Venture Partners’ Investment Committee and full proposals will be invited from short-listed organizations. All applicants will be notified of the status of their Letter of Interest by March 1.
#4: Submit a Full Proposal (by invitation; all proposals due March 31, 2020, by 5 PM)
Short-listed organizations are invited to submit full proposals. Proposals are evaluated using similar criteria as outlined for the Letters of Interest.
#5: Join the Investment Committee for Semifinalist Speed Networking (by invitation; April 21.)
#6: Finalist Pitches (by invitation; May 12)
Finalists are invited to present to our Investment Committee on May 12.
This allows our committee to get to know your organization’s leadership and to ask any questions they might have. It also gives you a chance to ask questions of SVP.
#6: Receive your grant!
SVP’s Investment Committee selects one investee each year.
Based on successful annual reviews, grants will be renewed for up to the next two consecutive years.
Please note that an important part of our process is an Organizational Capacity Assessment which takes place once an investee has been selected.
For more information or to set an appointment with Social Venture Partners’ Executive Director, please email Rose Greensides at: rose(at)svpwr(dot)org.