The Letter of Interest window for our
2021 grant is now extended until September 10.
SVP will announce our newest Investee this December.
Social Venture Partners is looking for charities that want to try something different.
The successful applicant to our Investee grant is willing to be open, honest, and to collaborate. Most of all, they’re ready to take their vital work to the next level.
Up to two years of unrestricted funding. You know how the money is best invested, so we won’t ask specifically how it’s spent.
Our Partners. Skilled volunteers who provide hands-on support in areas that are holding you back.
Tools to assess your organizational capacity. We’ll help you identify your organization’s strengths and potential for growth.
A commitment to working in partnership. We get that there’s a power dynamic in funding relationships. We will do our best to mitigate that. We will invite your honest feedback, own our mistakes, and strive to find a path that works for everyone involved.
What We Will Ask of You
A willingness to share openly what’s holding your organization back. Once the cards are on the table, we can get to work – together.
Flexibility and openness to working with our SVP Partners who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds.
A commitment to calling us out when something’s not working for you. It may be uncomfortable, but our best results come from honest relationships.
An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year.
We ask a lot of our Investees, and we know we’re not perfect. But we believe it’s worth all the effort.
The application period for our 2021 Investee Grant is now open.
Before you apply, please read the requirements below.
#1: Determine Your Investee Eligibility
- Registered Canadian Charity
- Not open to municipal, academic, school, or hospital organizations
- Your organization’s primary activities serve Waterloo Region residents
- Your organization employs a full-time, paid Executive Director/CEO
What we’re looking for in an Investee:
- Ready and willing to change and grow. Articulate where you want to go and how to get there. You’re also able to demonstrate a strong, positive relationship between your organization’s Board and senior leadership.
- Commitment to organizational capacity. You can demonstrate how your charity has built capacity in the past, and identify how you’ll continue to do so.
- Demonstrated time and resources to work with us. We ask that all charities interested in applying meet with our Executive Director, Rose before submitting an application. It’s a quick conversation to ensure partnership with us is right for your organization at this time.
- Strong commitment to collaboration within the community.
- Open to feedback, prepared to learn, and willing to try new ways of working.
#2: Check the Dates
Social Venture Partners Waterloo Region (SVPWR) has one investee grant cycle each year.
Key Dates (2021 Investee Year):
May 19 – Info Session (1:00 PM)
Sept. 10 – Letter of Interest deadline (by 5:00 PM) – deadline extended from June 7!
September (TBA) – All applicants notified of their submission status. Shortlisted applicants may start to submit Full Proposals.
October (TBA) – Full Proposal deadline (by 5:00 PM)
November (TBA) – Investee Grant finalists’ meeting with our Investment Committee (night one)
November (TBA) – Investee Grant finalists’ meeting with our Investment Committee (night two, as needed)
December – 2021 Investee announced
#3: Submit a Letter of Interest (by Sept. 10 at 5 PM)
Please note that all applicants must meet with SVPWR’s Executive Director before submitting a Letter of Interest.
Letters of Interest are assessed on the basis of:
- Organizational leadership, vision, and capacity
- Potential for impact
- Model and Programming (need, track record, innovation)
- Social Venture Partners’ engagement potential (ability/readiness to partner with us)
For full criteria & guidelines, see our SVP – 2021 Call for Letters of Interest – Info Package.
Letters will be reviewed by SVPWR’s Investment Committee and full proposals will be invited from short-listed organizations. All applicants will be notified of the status of their Letter of Interest by July 5.
Preview the Letter of Interest Questions.
Ready to apply? Click HERE to get started.
#4: Submit a Full Proposal (by invitation)
Short-listed organizations are invited to submit full proposals. Proposals are evaluated using similar criteria as outlined for the Letters of Interest.
Preview the Full Proposal Questions.
#5: Finalist Q&A (by invitation; November 2021)
Finalists are invited to present to our Investment Committee on September 8th or 9th.
This allows our committee to get to know your organization’s leadership and to ask any questions they might have. It also gives you a chance to ask questions of SVPWR.
#6: Receive your grant! (December 2021)
SVPWR’s Investment Committee selects one investee each year.
Based on successful annual reviews, grants will be renewed for the next consecutive year.
Please note that an important part of our process is an Organizational Capacity Assessment which takes place once an investee has been selected.
For more information or to set an appointment with Social Venture Partners Waterloo Region’s Executive Director, please email Rose Greensides at: rose(at)svpwr(dot)org.