Social Diversity for Children (SDC) provides quality education and learning programs to empower children with disabilities. SDC serves to lower the stigma about disabilities by engaging secondary school students in a community of support and encouragement at the peer-to-peer level. Their Education Through Creativity art therapy program and After School Connection music therapy program are tools to encourage interaction and connection between children with and without disabilities.
SDC was founded and is operated entirely by youth, comprised of a main executive team of 15 and more than 300 volunteers. SVP Partners have been guiding these young leaders on a non-financial basis to tighten their organizational structure, finalize a business plan, and scale their programs.
With SVP’s support, SDC intends to:
- Expand the number of alternative therapy and social programs offered in the community
- Increase organizational capacity and improve board governance
- Develop a model to expand their programs offered to other regions and communities
- Establish a sustainable structure for the future development of the organization
- Develop a plan for financial stability and sustainability
SVP grant commitment: (November 2016) An immediate one-year grant of $50,000 pending development of a fund development plan within six months. SVP will match up to an additional $25,000 pending goals achieved. The SVP grant includes generous co-funding from the BPS Wealth Management Group at CIBC Wood Gundy (represented by SVP Partners Geoff Bertram, Tom Porteous and Eric Southam) in the possible amount of $22,500.
Executive Director: Serena Li
SVP Lead Partners: Hamlet Abnousi and Scott Shaw