SVP Vancouver is a network of over 200 engaged philanthropists who are keen to work with local nonprofits that have the potential to positively impact the lives of vulnerable children and youth in our community.
Our Investees (the nonprofits we work with) are willing to hang out some dirty laundry and don’t shy away from a challenge. Most of all, they’re ready to take their vital work to the next level.
SVP offers unrestricted operating funding over 3-5 years that averages $100,000 total money PLUS time and expertise in capacity-building areas like strategic planning, fund development, IT, marketing, HR, finance, governance, and more.
Four core requirements:
- MUST have a primary focus on children and youth, with strategies to engage those who are most at-risk
- MUST have a primary focus on serving children and youth from Metro Vancouver (your leadership team must be based here)
- Your annual operating budget should be between $50,000 and $1,000,000
- MUST be interested in leveraging SVP’s unique capacity building model (time + money + expertise)
What to expect: SVP’s selection process
Once a nonprofit is determined to meet our four core selection criteria, a team of SVP Partners conducts due diligence with your organization.
SVP has a rolling intake process. We’re always looking for new nonprofits to work with, which takes anywhere between three and 12 months.
What we bring to the table
- Three to five years of general operating support consisting of approximately $100,000 in total funding.
- Investments in building your organizational capacity in nine investment areas (see the Capacity Building page for details):
- Human resources
- Financial management
- Marketing + communications
- Board governance
- Fund development
- Strategic planning
- Social impact measurement
- Management + leadership
- Skilled volunteers who will help build your organization’s capacity in the areas that are keeping you from reaching your full potential
- A commitment to working in partnership. We get that there’s a power dynamic in funding relationships. We will do our best to mitigate that. We will invite your honest feedback, own up to our mistakes, and strive to find a path that works for everyone involved.
What we’ll ask of you
We’re not going to lie. We ask a lot of our Investees. We’re committed to your success and want to help you reach long-term sustainability and impact. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- A willingness to take a hard look at what’s holding your organization back, and to share those weaknesses openly. Once the cards are on the table, we can get to work – together.
- Flexibility and openness to working with volunteers who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds
- A commitment to calling us out when something’s not working for you. That may be uncomfortable, but our best results come from honest relationships.
- An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year
Here’s How to Apply
Check Your Eligibility
Is your organization:
- A registered charity
- Serving children and youth at-risk in Metro Vancouver
- Located in Metro Vancouver
- An emerging nonprofit aspiring to take your operations + impact to the next level
If you answered YES to all the above questions, we’d like to hear from you.
Please send an inquiry to us at email@example.com for more information or to discuss your organization’s eligibility and fit for application.