Denise Louie Education Center (DLEC) has hired a new Executive Director, Susan Yang, who succeeds the former Executive Director of 17 years. The organization has been through a significant amount of transition and is in the process of revisiting its strategic plan in light of the evolving issues emerging in the early learning field. Currently, the Board of Directors is comprised of 11 members with our likely onboarding of an additional 3 new board members for a total of 14. By the time of the retreat, 8 of our 14 board members will have served on the board for less than 1 years.
DLEC seeks a skilled volunteer to facilitate our board retreat. This will be the first retreat the organization has had in two years and as noted, a majority of the board members are new. The tentative dates are Saturday, April 25 or Saturday, April 4, depending on which dates works best for a potential facilitator. The meeting will be held from 10:00 to 4:00 (to be confirmed) at the Committee for Children Office located at 2815 Second Ave., Suite 400 in Seattle.
The facilitator will assist with the following:
- help the new board to develop a common understanding of the board’s roles and responsibilities;
- set the stage for the new board to work together effectively as a board; and
- help guide the board through the current mission/vision/values in relation to the evolving early learning landscape and its implications for the challenges and opportunities ahead for DLEC.
Examples of Work to Be Performed
- Participate in one preliminary meeting (live preferably) with Executive Director and Board Chair to learn about our board, organization and the context for the retreat;
- Prepare to facilitate the April 25 or April 4 board meeting;
- Attend and facilitate the April 25 or April 4 board meeting; and
- Debrief meeting to help Executive Director with organizational follow-up items
Attend and facilitate the board meeting for the purpose of helping the new board to develop a common understanding of the board’s roles and responsibilities and help set the stage for Board’s work for the next year
Skills Required for Volunteer
The volunteer should have significant facilitation, strategic planning and board governance/development experience, ideally with boards of nonprofit organizations.
More Details and Who to Contact