The Environmental Coalition of South Seattle (ECOSS) has recently expanded its reach to areas throughout the Puget Sound and Eastern Washington, as well as diversified the types of projects they take on. To ensure the Board is evolving as the organization grows, ECOSS would like an SVP Partner to conduct a Board assessment, comparing ECOSS’ practices to the best practices of non-profit Boards.
Building the ECOSS board will ensure a strong foundation of governance and strategy, enabling ECOSS to scale up, and plan strategically for the future.
Examples of work:
- Evaluate current board structure, policies, responsibilities/expectations, controls, etc., and compare them to best practices of non-profits board.
- Outline how ECOSS’ Board differs from a strong functioning board, identifying specific practices that are working well and ones that could be improved.
- Propose recommended changes that will enable them to plan for future board development.
More about ECOSS
ECOSS encourages urban redevelopment and a healthy environment by providing education, resources and technical assistance to diverse businesses and communities in the Puget Sound region.
It was established in 1994 to address challenges over the imbalance of the South Park neighborhood and lower Duwamish River. By bridging the interests of residents, industry, and government, the organization has created a model that is both sustainable and mutually beneficial. Over the years their work has expanded in range and scope as other communities have recognized the benefits of this holistic approach.
By offering free and confidential services, ECOSS has developed a niche within the Puget Sound area as a trusted source of environmental education and a link to sustainable resources. The suite of services includes:
- Phase I Assessments of Contaminated Properties
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention and Education
- Energy and Water Conservation Assistance
Project Basics & Next Steps