We make community impact by investing our resources in Portland nonprofits, community collaborations, and transformational leaders. We call these organizations our “Community Partners.” SVP invests the money, talent/time and influence of our Investor Partner, typically over several years. We only currently invest in ways of advancing our Ready for Kindergarten goal.
We’re not going to lie. We ask a lot of our Community Partners. And we’re not perfect. Our venture philanthropy model is not right for all organizations or at all stages of their development. Still, our Community Partners say it’s worth every ounce of effort when the fit and timing is right.
We are always seeking new investment opportunities and invite anyone to call us with a pitch or an idea. We do not operate on grant cycles and do not issue requests for proposals. If an investment seems to offer possibilities for advancing our Ready for Kindergarten goal, we host a series of conversations with the prospective Community Partner to explore how their organization/program could achieve broader or deeper community impact with SVP’s resources. If we mutually agree there is strong potential for impact by working together, we co-create a partnership proposal and pitch it to our Investor Partners.
Our current investment criteria for a nonprofit or community agency include:
- Focuses on serving our priority populations (children living in poverty, children of color, and children who are English language learners)
- Builds capacity towards achieving significant impact on the Ready for Kindergarten goal
- Fills clear gap in community services
- Promotes cross-organization/sector ‘collective impact’ collaboration
- Leverages SVP resources and strengths (or offers strong potential to do so)
If you meet these criteria and want to talk more about partnering with us, contact us and tell us more about your initiative.