Seeds of Literacy provides personal education that empowers adults to succeed in their communities. Seeds of Literacy is an adult literacy program providing basic education and GED® preparation free of charge to people in the Cleveland, Ohio area. A unique curriculum and one-on-one tutoring offer maximum learning by building relationships of trust between the student and the tutor. They bring people of diverse race and ethnic backgrounds together to help break a root cause of poverty – illiteracy.
Executive Director: Bonnie Entler
SVP Project Manager: Roslyn Chao
Years of Engagement: 2015-2016
Total SVP Impact as of 12/31/2015
|Value of volunteer hours from partners and friends||$ 6,900|
|SVP direct financial contributions (grants awarded)||Time Only|
|Indirect contributions because of introduction by SVP||TBD|
|Projected operational impact||
|Value of volunteering and donations||$ 6,900|
Strengthening Seeds of Literacy
Results and Accomplishments:
- Completed Organization Capacity Assessment Tool (OCAT).
- Met with the Marketing and Communications Committee to discuss needs and review suggestions.
- Initiated contact with a consultant to help research and report on issues of adult basic education and discern the profile and characteristics of an adult learner. Presented information and research grant proposal needs to the executive director.
- Initiated contact with several corporations in Cleveland to help build fundraising outreach.
- Strategized on ways to diversify the volunteer base with the volunteer coordinator.
- Contacted several affinity or employee resource groups to search for volunteers.
- Data Analysis of Student Data to distinguish variables that indicate student success and graduation apart from students departing from the program.
Volunteer Partners of SVP
Volunteer Team: Roslyn Chao (Lead), Ann Marie Bergman, Gargi Patel, Jeff Sobieraj, Stacey Stingley
Advisory Team: Jill Bernaciak, Ariella Brown, Suzanne Doggett, Nancy Hancock Griffith, James Hailey, Karen Kidwell, Ann Newman, Gargi Patel