CALL FOR APPLICATIONS for SVP’s bigBANG!
Seeking Cleveland’s most effective and innovative nonprofit organizations for our showcase of social innovation on February 27, 2020.
bigBANG! will be held at Cleveland Leadership Center’s
Accelerate 2020: Citizens Make Change
- two months of individualized Fast Pitch coaching
- the chance to tell your story on stage at Cleveland Leadership Center’s Accelerate 2020: Citizens Make Change
- the opportunity to win cash awards
- a Fast Pitch video of your live presentation— an excellent marketing tool!
- a professional photograph of your organization’s presenter
- the opportunity for “Cocktails & Collaboration” with SVP Partners to brainstorm over and offer practical solutions to an important capacity-building challenge facing you
Who should apply: Nonprofit organizations located in Northeast Ohio who are actively employing innovative ideas to address our community’s needs.
Deadline to apply: Monday, December 9 (by midnight)
ISSUE AREA FOCUS: SVP’s Call for bigBANG! Applications is open to nonprofits that work in any issue area.
INNOVATION & IMPACT IN THE SOCIAL SECTOR: SVP’s bigBANG! is interested in innovative nonprofit organizations that use resources in creative and effective ways to deliver breakthrough social impact. Innovation can involve:
- novel solutions or concepts that address social needs
- taking a more efficient, effective, sustainable, or just approach to serving a constituency—especially underrepresented or disadvantaged communities
Note: An applicant can use an approach tried elsewhere first and then brought to Northeast Ohio.
BENEFITS TO YOUR ORGANIZATION:
bigBANG! FAST PITCH PROGRAM: Leaders of nonprofits will participate in a free two-month communication skills training program and competition, culminating in the bigBANG! showcase on February 27, 2020 as a part of Cleveland Leadership Center’s Accelerate 2020: Citizens Make Change.
Through training, feedback, and mentoring from SVP Partners, bigBANG! participants receive a two-month immersive experience. The Fast Pitch program helps each participant:
- build communication skills
- communicate their organization’s vision
- tell their nonprofit’s story
- gain exposure for their organization, important new relationships, and the potential for additional support from donors and volunteers like community business leaders, venture philanthropists, and social investors
Many in the community want to give time and expertise but don’t have a good outlet or haven’t been asked. bigBANG! bridges this gap by highlighting social innovations and connecting and engaging community members.
What will happen at bigBANG! at Cleveland Leadership Center’s Accelerate 2020: Citizens Make Change?
- The Fast Pitch: Each finalist will make one four-minute pitch to event attendees.*
- Prizes will be awarded from SVP, based on the audience vote including a “Most Compelling Presentation” Award.
- Reception: Attendees and finalists will network and mingle at a reception before the final pitches on the main stage for winners of the breakout sessions.
- Main Stage: The bigBANG! winner will give their pitch on the main stage to the full audience of 300+.**
*Cleveland Leadership Center’s Accelerate 2020: Citizens Make Change will have seven concurrent pitch competitions in different categories. bigBANG! will feature nonprofit organizations only, while the other categories will have for-profits and start-up ideas from individual entrepreneurs. Event attendees can choose which breakout session to attend.
**The winner of bigBANG! will not be eligible to receive any prizes from The Cleveland Leadership Center (CLC). The bigBANG! winner will give their pitch on the main stage while votes are being counted in CLC’s competition.
Potential for Effective Societal Impact – The organization addresses an important social issue and is making, or is likely to make, a significant impact.
Innovation – The organization’s innovative approach is creating more dramatic results than other approaches. (See more about innovation above.)
Presenter – Individuals presenting on behalf of their organization must hold the title of Executive Director, CEO, founder, or equivalent, and have at least six months of tenure with the organization.
Nonprofit organization – Applicants must submit their designation from the IRS as a 501(c)(3) organization or proof of fiscal sponsorship.
Operating Model – Nonprofit social enterprises with revenue-generating strategies are also eligible.
Age – Organizations of any age may apply. Start-ups that demonstrate effective leadership, solid plans, and concrete goals are welcome.
Location – Proposals from organizations throughout Northeast Ohio will be considered.
Previous Presenters – Organizations featured in a previous bigBANG! will not be considered.
SVP does not consider proposals from individuals, organizations that require participation in religious activities, political organizations, pure sports teams, or those organizations that discriminate by race, sexual orientation, gender, age, marital status, national origin, or physical ability.
HOW IT WORKS
The Selection Committee is made up of individual SVP Partners who will review all submissions and select finalists to be coached to present a four-minute Fast Pitch at bigBANG!
- attend an information session and have approximately two weeks to work with their individual coach and prepare for the first group coaching session
- participate in weekly group coaching sessions for two months, working with their individual coach in between sessions
- have a photo taken by SVP for marketing purposes
- attend bigBANG! at Cleveland Leadership Center’s Accelerate 2020: Citizens Make Change on February 27, 2020
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the form below by Monday, December 9th at midnight. You will receive an email notification once we have received your application. For an editable and printable version of this form, please click here.