Media Contact: Lauren LaCerda Merten
Social Venture Partners Cincinnati awards $90,000 through reimagined Fast Pitch event. Partnership for Innovation in Education wins grand prize; donors can make additional contributions through Oct. 30
Cincinnati, Oct. 5, 2020– After postponing the event due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Social Venture Partners Cincinnati recently presented its reimagined Fast Pitch 2020 – The Virtual Edition. It was the organization’s first-ever online Fast Pitch event.
As in past years, 12 local nonprofits shared passionate three-minute presentations about the work they do and why it matters for a chance to win cash and consulting prizes. But this year, the pitches were delivered in an online broadcast. From Sept. 29 to Oct. 1, ticket holders viewed the videos and voted for their favorites. All proceeds from ticket sales went directly toward providing more than $90,000 in unrestricted grant money and consulting scholarships for all the finalists.
The big winners of the juried categories were:
- Grand Prize, $15,000, sponsored by Fifth Third Bank: Partnership for Innovation in Education
- Second Prize, $10,000, sponsored by Interact for Health: Girl’s Health Period
- Third Prize, $5,000, sponsored by Interact for Health: Brewhaus Bakery
Though the event has concluded, the public can learn about these and the other amazing nonprofit finalists by visiting https://charity.gofundme.com/fastpitch2020 before midnight Oct. 30. Visitors can view the finalists’ pitches and donate to organizations that inspire them. With nonprofits facing unprecedented challenges due to the pandemic, support is needed now more than ever.
“Fast Pitch is just one of the ways that Social Venture Partners Cincinnati supports our community to cultivate effective philanthropists, strengthen nonprofits and build collaborative relationships for social change,” says Carrie Johnson, SVP Cincinnati Board Chairperson. “Fast Pitch is not only effective, it’s a fun way to engage the community in philanthropy.”
Even more winners
- Audience Choice Award sponsored by Fuel Cincinnati, $2,500: Brewhaus Bakery
- VIP First Place Award sponsored by SVP, $1,000: Brewhaus Bakery
- VIP Second Place Award sponsored by SVP, $500: Cincinnati Youth Collaborative
- Cincinnati Cares Volunteer Engagement Award, $1,000: Cindependent Film Festival
- Merit Awards, $1,000:
- Boys Hope Girls Hope
- Cincinnati Youth Collaborative
- Cindependent Film Festival
- Lincoln Heights Outreach Inc.
- Samaritan Car Care Clinic
- Social Circus
- Visually Impaired Preschool Services
- Your Store of the Queen City
- SVP Partner Pick Award, $500: Your Store of the Queen City
- SVP Partner Pick Award, $500: Samaritan Car Care Clinic
- Flywheel Social Enterprise Award, valued at $7,000: Brewhaus Bakery
- JPS Nonprofit Services Board Engagement Award, valued at $5,000: Cindependent Film Festival
- Training Award sponsored by Next Step Networking, valued at 5,000: Lincoln Heights Outreach Inc.
All finalists based in Ohio also received a legal assessment valued at $1,200 from Pro Bono Partnership of Ohio, an efficiency assessment from OneSource Center for Nonprofit Excellence valued at $1,000 and a Service Enterprise Diagnostic valued at $380 from Cincinnati Cares.
SVP thanks its panel of judges: Carrie Johnson from SVP, Kala Gibson from Fifth Third Bank, Julian Collins from Interact for Health, Alois Barreras from Fuel Cincinnati and Doug Bolton from Cincinnati Cares.
Culmination of months-long program
Using a technique borrowed from the venture capital and start-up communities, Fast Pitch, now in its seventh year, is an eight-week nonprofit training program in storytelling. Nonprofits are matched with individual Social Venture Partners to practice, refine and hone their messages. Despite the disruption caused by COVID-19, all of the finalists stayed engaged and committed to the process.
“While the training and award money are what first attracts nonprofits to Fast Pitch, participants tell us they really value the networking and connections they make through the process,” says Chris Shroat, SVP Partner and Fast Pitch 2020 Co-Chairperson.
Social Venture Partners would like to congratulate all of the finalists on a job well done. We would also like to thank our generous sponsors as well as our attendees for such an exciting event. See you next year!
About Social Venture Partners Cincinnati
Social Venture Partners is Greater Cincinnati’s home for engaged philanthropists. We are the only local funder that goes beyond giving money alone, pairing grant making with hands-on, in-depth coaching, training and guidance for nonprofits that want to help people reach their full potential. Our purpose is simple: to enable our investees to make our region a stronger and more vibrant community.