SVP Arizona is looking for nonprofits that want to try a different kind of funding relationship. We take a venture capital approach to philanthropy; we provide expertise and funding to emerging and growing local non-profits that are working to make children successful.
If Selected as an SVP Nonprofit Investee, We Will Bring to the Table…
- Up to five years of general operating support. We know you’re best positioned to decide where the grant money should be invested, so we won’t dictate how it’s spent.
- Tools to assess your organizational capacity – aka the strength of all those behind the scenes systems: human resources, financial management, communications, board governance, etc.
- A skilled partnership that will help build your organization’s capacity in the areas that are keeping you from reaching your full potential.
- A commitment to working in partnership. We get that there’s a power dynamic in funding relationships. We will do our best to mitigate that. We will invite your honest feedback, own up to our mistakes, and strive to find a path that works for everyone involved.
What We’ll Ask of You
- A willingness to take a hard look at what’s holding your organization back, and to share those weaknesses openly. Once the cards are on the table, we can get to work – together.
- Flexibility and openness to working with volunteers who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds.
- A commitment to calling us out when something’s not working for you. That may be uncomfortable, but our best results come from honest relationships.
- An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year.
“We’ve been fortunate to be involved with a group of community and business leaders who are committed to our mission. The leading partner in our transformation is Social Venture Partners Arizona. The nonprofit philanthropic group has donated its time, talent and treasure to our school for four years. Because of SVP we have never had to say ‘no’ to an idea that we felt was mission-aligned and would have an impact on our students.” Dr. Chad Gestson, Former Principal – Camelback High School
How to Apply
#1 Check Your Eligibility
Is your organization:
- A registered 501(c)3?
- Clear of our funding restrictions? (SVP will not consider grant requests from individuals, religious organizations for sectarian purposes, pure sports teams or any organization that discriminates on the basis of race, sexual orientation, gender, age, marital status, national origin or physical ability.)
- Located in Maricopa County, Arizona?
- Focused on making children successful through educational opportunities, safety & support, and/or health & wellness?
- Operating with an annual budget of at least $250,000?
- Operating for at least the past three years?
- Operating with the same Executive Director for at least two years?
- Operating with a minimum of one paid staff member?
#2 Check Our Deadlines
- November 2019: Initial applications open. Please note, our cutoff for accepting applications is Dec. 15th.
- December 2019: Finalists selected, full application + site visits
- January 2020: Investee announced, partnership begins
#3 Submit the Online Form
Nonprofits are invited to submit an online form during each grant cycle. (Please note: to submit the online form you CAN NOT save and return to the form. You MUST fill out the whole form in one session). You can preview the questions here.
#4 Submit a Full Proposal
SVP’s investment committee reviews the letters of inquiry, selects 3-5 organizations, and invites them to submit a full proposal.
#5 Host a Site Visit
Members of SVP’s investment committee will visit your organization. This allows them to see your work in action, get to know your staff and board, and ask questions they might have. It also gives you a chance to ask questions of SVP.
#6 Receive a Grant
Each SVP grant cycle will result in one new multi-year investee.
If you feel your organization would benefit from our partner’s time, talent, and treasure, please complete the following information: