SVP Vancouver is a group of private philanthropists looking for non-profits that want to benefit from our pioneering model of venture philanthropy
Our Investees (non-profits we work with) are willing to hang out some dirty laundry and don’t shy away from the challenging journey ahead. Most of all, they’re ready to take their vital work to the next level.
SVP offers unrestricted operating funding over 3-5 years that averages $120,000 total money PLUS time and expertise in capacity-building areas like strategic planning, fund development, IT, marketing, HR, finance, governance, and more.
4 Core Requirements:
Read MORE about SVP’s non-profit selection criteria.
- MUST have a primary focus on children and youth, with strategies to engage those who are most at-risk
- MUST have a primary focus on serving children and youth from Metro Vancouver (your leadership team must be based here)
- Your annual operating budget should be between $50,000 and $1,000,000
- MUST be interested in leveraging SVP’s unique capacity building model (time + money + expertise)
What to Expect: SVP’s Selection Process
Once a non-profit is determined to meet our four core selection criteria, a team of SVP Partners conducts due diligence with your organization. Read FULL DETAILS on our selection process.
SVP has a rolling intake process – we’re always looking for new non-profits to work with – which takes anywhere between three and 12 months.
What We Bring to the Table
We help in the following way:
- Three to five years of capacity building support and approximately $120,000 in total funding.
- Tools to assess your organizational capacity – the strength of all those behind the scenes systems:
- human resources
- financial management
- marketing + communications
- board governance
- fund development
- strategic planning
- management + leadership
- IT + web applications
- Skilled volunteers who will help build your organization’s capacity in the areas that are keeping you from reaching your full potential
- A commitment to working in partnership. We get that there’s a power dynamic in funding relationships. We will do our best to mitigate that. We will invite your honest feedback, own up to our mistakes, and strive to find a path that works for everyone involved
What We’ll Ask of You
We’re not going to lie. We ask a lot of our Investees. We’re committed to your success and want to help you reach long-term sustainability and impact. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- A willingness to take a hard look at what’s holding your organization back, and to share those weaknesses openly. Once the cards are on the table, we can get to work – together
- Flexibility and openness to working with volunteers who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds
- A commitment to calling us out when something’s not working for you. That may be uncomfortable, but our best results come from honest relationships
- An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year
Here’s How to Apply
Check Your Eligibility
Is your organization:
- A registered charity
- Serving children and youth at-risk in Metro Vancouver
- Located in Metro Vancouver
- An emerging non-profit aspiring to take your operations + impact to the next level
If you answered YES to all the above questions, we’d like to hear from you.
SVP Vancouver accepts applications from potential Investees on an ongoing and continuous basis, but by invitation only.
If you think your organization is eligible for SVP funding, and/or for information and to discuss your fit with SVP and its mission please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org