Modeled on “fast pitch” venture capital funding competitions, “Advance San Diego” helps organizations define their impact, powerfully communicate their vision, and raise more funds as a result. Building on the success of the inaugural event last year, this year’s program will be larger in scope, spotlight more non-profits, feature enhanced workshops, and award more cash and in-kind services.
This year’s event which took place on October 9th, featured 15 non-profits, affording the selected applicants an opportunity to present their concise compelling story to a 500-person audience comprised of funders, business leaders, and community members. The winners were awarded $75,000 in cash and in-kind services. Check back on this page for information on next year’s Advance San Diego events and tickets.
Advance San Diego 2013 Winners:
Military and Their Families:
1st Place: Workshops for Warriors
2nd Place: California Veterans Legal Task Force
3rd Place: San Diego Military Collaborative
1st Place: Inika Small Earth, Inc.
2nd Place: Whatever it Takes
1st Place: Reality Changers
2nd Place: Just in Time for Foster Youth
What it Is
Social Venture Partners created the Advance San Diego program to provide training, coaching, and cash awards to nonprofit organizations in our community. Modeled on”fast pitch” venture capital funding competitions, Advance San Diego is designed to advance positive social change by helping nonprofit organizations define and measure their impact and tell their story in a more compelling way. By participating, nonprofit organizations more effectively raise the funds needed to build their capacity, increase their community impact, and transform more lives.
How it works
- Nonprofit organizations submit an application to participate in one of three impact segments: Military, Youth & Education, and Innovation
- 30 nonprofit organizations are selected to participate in two training workshops to prepare for the competition: Defining and Measuring Impact, and Storytelling as a Best Practice
- Mentors from the community are assigned to each organization to help executive directors to hone their pitch
- Participants will pitch their stories to SDSVP Partners at a live semi-finals event. Partners will narrow the pool to 15 finalists (5 finalists per impact segment) who then present their 3-minute “pitches” to a panel of judges and an audience of 500 investors, businesses, nonprofit leaders, philanthropists and foundation executives.
- Cash awards are offered based on presentation, content, and impact. More than $75,000 in cash and in-kind services will be awarded.
Click here for more details: