Honoring the memory of Ellen Mitchell Gallagher*
Social Venture Partners Minnesota launched the SVP Community Partners Program in October 2018. This program is a three-year skills-based volunteer experience for community-minded professionals, leaders and social entrepreneurs who:
- Are people of color and/or from historically under-represented populations
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Want to use their skills to help nonprofits build capacity and have greater impact
- Are eager to hone current skills and learn new skills via a cohort experience
- Desire working shoulder-to-shoulder with others on highly strategic initiatives
- Are creative and willing to give 45 hours or more per year of skills-based volunteering
- Embrace SVP’s values of impact, innovation, community and equity
- Are open to potential placement on SVP Board of Directors
The SVP Community Partners Program aims to bring in more voices from the communities that we serve and add skills that Investees need for growth – both in areas that are currently under-represented among our Partner network. Together with the talents and voices currently in our Partnership, the SVP Community Partners Program will allow us to interact more intimately with communities of color, engage in collaborative learning with others from different lived experiences and grow to do our capacity building work more effectively.
SVP seeks community-minded professionals, leaders and social entrepreneurs of color and/or from historically under-represented populations who are connected to the populations we serve and have a passion for strengthening the Twin Cities community through hands-on work with innovative nonprofits. An ideal Community Partner would bring a fresh voice to the SVP Partnership through their diverse lived experiences. Additionally, a successful Community Partner has skills needed for nonprofit capacity building projects (i.e. program evaluation, impact measurement, fund and/or business development, strategic planning, etc.).
SVP Community Partners will be identified through a nominations process. Nominations are accepted on a rolling basis; you can nominate yourself or someone else. SVP Community Partners are expected to contribute a minimum of 45 hours a year to skills-based volunteering on SVP projects, with a commitment to a three-year engagement. SVP Community Partners experience full benefits of Partnership through workshops, mentoring and network expansion, and leadership and philanthropic development.
- Nominations are accepted on a rolling basis. The nomination form can be found here.
- Nominations reviewed and follow-up interviews conducted.
- Finalists notified and invitations issued to become a SVP Community Partner.
*The SVP Community Partners Program was established in memory of Ellen Mitchell Gallagher – an early supporter and SVP Minnesota Board member – by her spouse and current SVP Partner, Gary Gallagher. Ellen’s passion and spirit are reflected in the intent of the SVP Community Partners Program. We are grateful to Gary Gallagher for his generous matching gift which eliminates any financial barriers to participation in the program. Consider a gift to the SVP Community Partners Program to honor Ellen and sustain this program in the years ahead.