Montgomery Learning Tour
July 17 @ 8:00 am - July 19 @ 5:00 pm
SVP International and SVP Los Angeles are teaming up to host a trip to Montgomery, AL to visit the National Memorial for Peace & Justice and the Legacy Museum. Established in 2018 by the Equal Justice Initiative, the memorial and museum are dedicated to the legacy of enslavement, terror, violence, and humiliation of Black people in the United States. The exhibits take the visitor through U.S. history of slavery and lynching to present-day mass incarceration and police violence.
This trip is open to anyone who wants to understand U.S. history and present-day inequities and terror. Taking place from July 17-19, attendees will visit the museum and memorial, participate in small-group dialogue and affinity group conversations, and be a part of a small-group dialogue with staff from the Equal Justice Initiative.
Registration fee includes:
- Tickets to the Museum and Memorial
- Breakfast July 17, 18, and 19th
- Lunch on July 17 and 18th (we will conclude before lunch on the 19th)
- Participation in facilitated learning and reflection over the course of the three-day trip
- Small-group presentation from the Equal Justice Initiative on July 19th
Registration fee does not include:
- Hotel (we have a limited number of group rate discounted rooms at nearby hotel)
- Dinner (participants will be encouraged to use no-host small group reservations made by SVP)
- Travel to/from Montgomery, AL from nearby airports
- Ground transportation within Montgomery (Museum, Memorial, Hotel, and Group sessions are all within a 1 mile range)
Hotel reservation information:
- We have a limited number of group rate discounted rooms at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Downtown Montgomery.
- Reservations can be made by phone at 334-245-2320 or by clicking here.
- Use the discount code: SVP
- Online, view the group rates by clicking on “Add Special Rate Codes” link prior to clicking on “Check Rooms & Rates.”
- Make your hotel reservations by Monday, June 10th, 2019 to receive the discounted rate.