2017 grant applications
We are accepting Letters of Inquiry for 2017. The deadline for submission will be Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM. During open submission you may follow the links below for instructions on applying. You must use the Letter of Inquiry form to submit your proposal.
SVP is looking for nonprofits that want to try a different kind of funding relationship.
These groups are willing to hang out some dirty laundry, and don’t shy away from the messiness of collaboration. Most of all, they’re ready to take their vital work to the next level.
What We Bring to the Table
- Up to three years of general operating support. We know you’re best positioned to decide where the grant money should be invested, so we won’t ask how it’s spent.
- Tools to assess your organizational capacity – aka the strength of all those behind the scenes systems: human resources, financial management, communications, board governance, etc.
- Skilled volunteers who will help build your organization’s capacity in the areas that are keeping you from reaching your full potential.
- A commitment to working in partnership. We get that there’s a power dynamic in funding relationships. We will do our best to mitigate that. We will invite your honest feedback, own up to our mistakes, and strive to find a path that works for everyone involved.
What We’ll Ask of You
- A willingness to take a hard look at what’s holding your organization back, and to share those weaknesses openly. Once the cards are on the table, we can get to work – together.
- Flexibility and openness to working with volunteers who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds.
- A commitment to calling us out when something’s not working for you. That may be uncomfortable, but our best results come from honest relationships.
- An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year.
We’re not going to lie, we ask a lot of our Investees. And we’re not perfect. But the nonprofits we work with say it’s worth every ounce of effort.
Here’s How to Apply
#1 Check Your Eligibility
Is your organization:
- A registered 501(c)3?
- Located and serve in the Metro Denver area?
- Focused on education, basic human needs, economic opportunity, or community leadership?
#2 Check the Deadline
SVP typically has two grant cycles per year. Deadlines for our 2017 cycles are below:
- Cycle #1 – Letters of inquiry due on Thursday, March 30, 2017.
- Cycle #2 – Letters of inquiry due on Thursday, August 31, 2017
#3 Submit a Letter of Inquiry
Nonprofits are invited to submit letters of inquiry (LOI) during each grant cycle. Letters of inquiry are evaluated by our grant committee, using criteria outlined in the guidelines below.
#4 Submit a Full Proposal
SVP’s grant committee reviews the letters of inquiry, selects 3-6 organizations, and invites them to submit a full proposal. Proposals are evaluated using similar criteria as outlined for the LOI.
#5 Host a Site Visit
Members of SVP’s grant committee will visit your organization. This allows them to see your work in action, get to know your staff and board, and to ask questions they might have. It also gives you a chance to ask questions of SVP.
#6 Receive a Grant
SVP’s grant committees select up to four Investees each year.
If you have questions about applying for an SVP grant, please contact Pat Landrum.