SVP Connecticut is looking for social ventures that align with our mission to close the opportunity gap in Connecticut and want to try a different kind of funding relationship.
Our Investees (nonprofits and social change initiatives) are willing to hang out some dirty laundry, and don’t shy away from collaboration which can be challenging at times. Most of all, they’re ready to take their vital work to the next level.
5 Core Requirements
Read more about SVP’s eligibility criteria and investment guidelines.
- MUST have an effective strategy and model that materially impacts the opportunity gap in Connecticut in the areas of education and workforce development.
- MUST have a focus on serving residents of Connecticut (can be part of a national organization, but your Connecticut program leadership team must be based here).
- MUST have a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in its policies, practices, leadership and membership.
- MUST have a commitment to growing and expanding its reach to new areas of need, new areas of geographic areas, or larger number of beneficiaries served.
- MUST have the capability, capacity, and willingness to allocate resources to collaborate and leverage SVP’s unique capacity building model.
SVP’s Selection Process
Application for investment is by direct invitation from SVP only. (This is a change from previous years.)
Once a nonprofit or initiative is determined to meet our eligibility criteria:
- The SVP Investment Committee will invite the organization to submit an application.
- After thorough review, a subset of applicants will advance to the semifinal stage and site visits will be conducted.
- Finalists for investment will be selected and a team of SVP Partners will conduct due diligence over an 8-12-week period. This process may include interviews with staff and board members, review of additional supporting documentation, and co-creation of the potential engagement with SVP.
SVP expects to select 2-4 new Investee(s) in Spring 2019. This would be in addition to any renewed allocation of resources of organizations and initiatives currently supported pending review and evaluation by the Investment Committee
SVP’s investment may involve time-based capacity building or advisory work, without a financial contribution. Other Investees may receive a combination of a project team and a financial grant. No financial support will be provided without SVP advisory work.
What We Bring to the Table
We help in the following way:
- Multi-year general operating support (up to $25k annually).
- Tools to assess your organizational capacity – aka the strength of all those behind the scenes systems: human resources, financial management, communications, board governance, strategic planning, etc.
- Skilled volunteers (SVP Partners) who will help build your organization’s capacity in the areas that are keeping you from reaching your full potential.
- A commitment to working in partnership. We get that there’s a power dynamic in funding relationships. We will do our best to mitigate that. We will invite your honest feedback, own up to our mistakes, and strive to find a path that works for everyone involved.
We’re not going to lie. We ask a lot of our Investees. We’re committed to your success and want to help you reach long-term sustainability and impact.
What We’ll Ask of You
- A willingness to take a hard look at what’s holding your organization back, and to share those weaknesses openly. Once the cards are on the table, we can get to work – together
- Flexibility and openness to working with volunteers who have busy schedules and varied professional backgrounds
- A commitment to calling us out when something’s not working for you. That may be uncomfortable, but our best results come from honest relationships
- An annual work plan and progress report that outlines the capacity building areas you are focused on, how they relate to your mission, and what you have achieved at the end of each year
SVP Connecticut accepts applications for investment by invitation only. If you believe your organization fits SVP’s mission and model of engaged philanthropy and want to let us know, please contact us at email@example.com .