CALL FOR APPLICATIONS for bigBANG!
Seeking Cleveland’s most effective and innovative nonprofit organizations for our showcase of social innovation on October 26, 2017.
- the chance to tell your story on stage to an audience of hundreds at bigBANG! 2017
- the opportunity to win cash awards
- a Fast Pitch video of your live presentation — an excellent marketing tool!
Both Finalists and Semi-Finalists receive:
- two months of individualized Fast Pitch coaching
- a professionally-designed prospectus of your organization for donors
- the chance to share your story at an interactive reception with an audience of hundreds including representatives from major foundations, corporations, and other donors
- the opportunity for “Cocktails and Collaboration” with SVP Partners to brainstorm over and offer practical solutions to an important capacity-building challenge facing you
- a professional photograph of your organization’s presenter
Who should apply: Nonprofit organizations located in Northeast Ohio who are actively employing innovative ideas to address our community’s needs.
Deadline to apply: Friday, July 21 (by midnight)
Click here for a printable version of this application.
ISSUE AREA FOCUS: SVP’s Call for Applications is open to nonprofits that work in any issue area.
INNOVATION & IMPACT IN THE SOCIAL SECTOR: SVP is interested in innovative nonprofit organizations that use resources in creative and effective ways to deliver breakthrough social impact. Innovation can involve:
new ideas and concepts to address social needs
novel solutions to social needs and problems that are more efficient, effective, sustainable or just
an organization taking a new approach to serving its constituency
Note: An applicant can use an approach tried somewhere else first and then brought to Northeast Ohio.
BENEFITS TO YOUR ORGANIZATION:
bigBANG! FAST PITCH PROGRAM: Leaders of nonprofits will participate in a free two-month communication skills training program and competition, culminating in the bigBANG! showcase on October 26, 2017. Semi-finalists and finalists will participate in an interactive reception and have their prospectus in the event program; finalists will present their Fast Pitch on stage.
Through training, feedback, and mentoring from SVP Partners, bigBANG! participants receive a two-month immersion experience. The Fast Pitch program helps participants:
- build communication skills
- communicate their organization’s vision
- tell their story
- elevate their profile
The bigBANG! showcase provides exposure for their organization, important new relationships, and additional support from donors and volunteers.
Nonprofits have an opportunity to tell their story and engage the support of a diverse array of community members including business leaders, venture philanthropists, and social investors. Many in the community want to give time and expertise, but don’t have a good outlet or haven’t been asked. bigBANG! bridges this gap by highlighting social innovations and connecting and engaging community members.
What will happen at bigBANG! 2017?
- The Fast Pitch: Each finalist will make one four-minute pitch to an audience of nearly 300 people.
- Innovation Exchange/Networking Reception: Finalists and semi-finalists will have a kiosk and can engage attendees with their organization through an interactive activity. Information about their program and how to get involved will also be included in the event program.
- Prizes will be awarded including a “Most Compelling Presentation” Award.
Potential for Effective Societal Impact – The organization addresses an important social issue and is making, or is likely to make, a significant impact.
Innovation – The organization uses an approach that is novel or unique to increase their effectiveness and impact. The organization’s innovation is creating more dramatic results than other approaches.
Presenter – Individuals presenting on behalf of their organization must hold the title of Executive Director, CEO, founder, or equivalent, and have at least six months of tenure with the organization.
Nonprofit organization – Applicants must submit their designation from the IRS as a 501(c)(3) organization or proof of fiscal sponsorship.
Operating Model – Nonprofit social enterprises with revenue-generating strategies are also eligible.
Age – Organizations of any age may apply. Start-ups that demonstrate effective leadership, solid plans, and concrete goals are welcomed.
Location – Proposals from organizations throughout Northeast Ohio will be considered.
Previous Presenters – Organizations featured in a previous bigBANG! will not be considered.
SVP does not consider proposals from individuals, organizations that require participation in religious activities, political organizations, pure sports teams, or those organizations that discriminate by race, sexual orientation, gender, age, marital status, national origin, or physical ability.
HOW IT WORKS
The Selection Committee is made up of individual SVP Partners who will review all submissions and select finalists to be coached to present a four-minute Fast Pitch at bigBANG! We will select an initial group of semi-finalists who will receive 2 months of coaching. Then, SVP will select several finalists who will move on to give their pitches on stage at bigBANG! 2017.
Semi-finalists and finalists will:
- attend a presentation workshop and have approximately one week to prepare for the first coaching session
- participate in weekly coaching sessions for 2 months alternating between group and individualized sessions
- have a photo taken by SVP for marketing purposes
- submit organization information for a two-page prospectus to be part of the bigBANG! program
- attend bigBANG! on October 26, 2017
Note: Only finalists will attend the dress rehearsal (4–5:30 pm on October 25th) and present a four-minute Fast Pitch on stage at the event on October 26th.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the form below by Friday, July 21st. You will receive an email notification once we have received your application.
Click here for a printable version of this application.